Codiak BioSciences is seeking an experienced Research Associate or Senior Research Associate to join our growing team and help us to fully develop the therapeutic potential of exosomes. The successful candidate will support the development of exosome-based therapies that address significant unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, hematology, and neurology. Responsibilities include transfection of cultured human cells, purification of native and engineered exosomes, and characterization of exosomes by diverse biochemical and immunological methods. This position will involve the close coordination of efforts with scientists in exosome biochemistry, immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, and in vivo pharmacology, as well as involvement in experiment design, data generation and analysis. The candidate will be responsible for communication of findings to the research team and active participation in project teams.
In this role, you will:
- Develop cell-based assays for exosome characterization and therapeutic target validation
- Culture, maintain, and transfect adherent and suspension-adapted mammalian cells from small-scale (20 mL) to large-scale (1 L)
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Document experimental results in electronic laboratory notebook and written reports
- Participate in, and present at, research group and project team meetings
- Prepare and order necessary reagents, solutions, consumables and other laboratory supplies
- Comply with laboratory safety procedures
- Other duties as required.
- BS or MS in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or a related field
- For Research Associate: BS/MS or equivalent degree and 2-4 years of relevant experience in an academic or industrial setting
- For Senior Research Associate: BS/MS or equivalent degree with at least 4-6 years of relevant experience in an academic or industrial setting
Required Skills and Abilities
- Mammalian cell culture techniques, including cultivating adherent and suspension-adapted cell lines, cell counting and viability assays
- Plate-based fluorescence and luminescence assays
- Experience with bright-field and fluorescence microscopy
- Hands-on experience with cationic lipid-mediated transfection and electroporation for the generation of stable and transiently transfected cell lines
- RNA extraction from cultured mammalian cells, PCR, RT-PCR and qPCR
- Transfection and electroporation of siRNA/shRNA in vitro
- Hands-on experience with common biological/biochemistry research methods including SDS-PAGE, UV/Vis spectroscopy, and immunological techniques including ELISA and western blotting;
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot critical issues associated with in vitro assays;
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills.
- Familiarity with analytical chromatography methods;
- Hands-on experience with multi-color flow cytometry and analysis;
- Immunofluorescence staining and imaging, including confocal fluorescence microscopy;
- Experience working in a Biosafety Level 2+ environment.
About Codiak BioSciences
Codiak BioSciences is leveraging recent advances in the biology of extracellular vesicles and their role in intercellular communication. Codiak aims to become the worlds leading company in developing exosomes as a new therapeutic and diagnostic modality for the treatment of a wide array of diseases, including cancer. Recent discoveries have demonstrated that exosomes derived from normal cells can act as a potent and safe delivery system for multiple therapeutic payloads. These small vesicles, which leave cells and travel throughout the body, can mediate dramatic effects in animal models of disease. The group has also shown that exosomes derived from cancer cells contain specific proteins on their surface that can be used to quickly detect and characterize cancer from a sample of patients blood. They can also be used to monitor the response to cancer treatment, and to detect relapses.
Contact: Leah Bowen-Cogswell