Codiak BioSciences is seeking an experienced professional to lead the oncology/immuno-oncology programs at Codiak. The Director, Oncology will have extensive experience with in vitro and in vivo cancer biology models and experience developing models to screen drug candidates across a wide array of therapeutic classes are required. Knowledge of cancer molecular targets and a proven track record of assay development and relevant preclinical cancer models is a must. In this role, you’ll be expected to work closely with the oncology and immunology research groups, and the heads of Research and Clinical Development, to design and execute an experimental plan consistent with Codiak’s mission to develop transformative exosome-based therapeutics for cancer. The candidate will be expected to lead this group from the bench and will have principal responsibility for defining a growth strategy for the Oncology Research group. You will be a decisive and results-oriented individual who is flexible, team-oriented, creative and able to excel in a multi-project, fast-track environment. You will be a strategic thinker who interacts and collaborates with project teams, peers and management in identifying and achieving discovery goals from both scientific and strategic perspectives.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for:
- Applying your expertise in immunology, immuno-oncology, cancer biology and drug discovery to influence overall Oncology Research strategy and project progression;
- Serving as Oncology Research lead on cross-functional preclinical and clinical project teams; working as leader or key contributor to design, plan and deliver multiple individual projects via team and matrix management;
- Leading and managing a team of scientists conducting pharmacology (in vitro, in vivo and ex-vivo) to advance candidate drugs from preclinical discovery into early clinical development. Manage performance and development of individual team members to maximize success and motivation. Assume responsibility for direct reports as needed, including recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff;
- Supporting the effective running of the department by contributing to budget and resource management to ensure portfolio progression and capability builds;
- Managing and driving internal and external collaborations/alliances with oncology focused academic institutions and pharma/biotech companies;
- Modeling expectations of quality and of effective people leadership and talent development;
- Managing or leading projects for multiple programs across the portfolio and schedule activities in accordance with line function and corporate/department goals, assignments and priorities;
- Effectively managing both internal and external work, including interactions with technical and administrative staff at CROs and external vendors to deliver high quality results;
- Building cross-functional projects that cut across disciplines, including protein engineering, molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, cellular screening, bioinformatics and in vivo pharmacology;
- Consistently converting new science into new targets and advance drug discovery programs through maximizing the value;
- Authoring or contributing to clinical study report sections, regulatory submissions and updates; (IND/CTDs, NDA/BLA, DSUR etc.) and abstracts/manuscripts for publication. Review assay validation and bioanalytical reports and provide training to internal staff;
- Engaging the external environment through thought leadership and by publishing scientific work;
- Establishing and maintaining visible and active engagement with key opinion leaders, professional societies, and academic institutions;
- Working closely with collaborators on in vitro and in vivo oncology models to enable an increased understanding of disease etiology;
- Keeping abreast of relevant literature; develop visibility outside of functional area;
- Contributing to departmental administration; demonstrate fiscal responsibility with respect to cost of experiments, technology, external collaborations, and travel.
- Other duties as required.
- PhD, or equivalent experience, in immunology, cancer research, pharmacology/drug discovery and/or associated aspects of immuno-oncology; as evidenced by high impact peer-reviewed publications and /or a strong track record in pharmaceutical drug discovery;
- 5-10 years of research experience after post-doctoral training;
- Proven history as a line manager / team leader incl. objective setting and review, individual performance management and team development;
- Demonstrated experienced at reviewing/validating the biology for new therapeutic targets;
- Working knowledge of novel therapeutic modalities (e.g. antibodies, protein based therapeutics, cell-based therapies) and their application to drug discovery;
- Experience and/or working knowledge of a range of in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo skills that can be applied to immuno-oncology research including multiparameter flow cytometry, human primary immune cell assays and tumor model systems for immuno-oncology research;
- Experience in preparing documents and reports for internal governance committees and regulatory agencies, including INDs;
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, problem solving and negotiating skills, together with evidence of having used these to support collaboration(s); both within an organization and/ or external partners;
Our employees dedicate themselves to helping us achieve important goals. In return, we are committed to offering compensation and benefits package that support and reward their contributions.
Founded in 2015, our culture is taking shape. By tapping into the unique talents of a varied pool of individuals, we can foster the kind of collaboration and innovation that yield truly exceptional work. Some of our guiding principles so far include:
- We make and keep commitments – to our Teammates and our Business Partners
- We have clear, direct and respectful communication with everyone we interact with.
- We are all responsible for Innovation
- We are a team
- We balance critical thinking with execution
- We care about our employee’s professional and personal fulfillment
Those interested in contributing to Codiak Biosciences’ development of the nascent and exciting field of exosome technology are invited to email their CV with Position Reference Number above and any relevant credentials.
Codiak BioSciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.